Billing groups enable you to attach common billing profile across multiple projects and generate a consolidated invoice.
It enables key benefits such as:
- Receive a single invoice for all your projects - When you have several projects on Aiven that are paid by the same payment method, you can opt to receive a single invoice that consolidates all the costs instead of receiving a separate invoice per project.
- Group costs based on your organization need - Group costs based on your organization or IT environment (DEV / TEST / PROD) by grouping related projects into billing groups. Each billing group will then generate a consolidated invoice.
- Minimize administrative setup of billing profiles shared between projects - Group projects whose costs will be paid by the same payment card into a billing group and designate a single billing profile to pay for their costs.
- Create dashboards in external Business Intelligence (BI) tools to track spend - Use the Invoice API to return cost breakdown by individual line items in the invoice to push Aiven project cost information to external BI tools.
Points to remember
- By default, each project belongs to a billing group.
- A project can belong to only one billing group at a time.
- A billing group will always generate a single invoice.
- Aiven credits are available to the billing group.
Using billing groups in the Aiven Console
- An Account is the entry point for creating and managing billing groups.
- You can group projects under an Account into one or more billing groups.
- You can set a primary billing group for an Account - this means that all future projects associated with this account can be added to the primary billing group by default.
- You can move projects under an Account from one billing group to another.
- Aiven credits are available for all projects associated with the Account. You can choose to apply the credits on a specific project under the Account.
Navigating to billing groups
As Accounts is the entry point for billing groups, navigate first to 'Projects & Accounts' view from the left navigation menu by clicking on the current project → See all projects.
Click on the desired account to manage the account and go to 'Billing' tab.
You can create new billing groups and assign projects to them from this view.
For more information on getting started with billing groups, please read this article.
Explore billing groups
Once you are in the desired account, click on the billing group name you wish to view invoices for. You are now in the billing group details view.
Let's explore the billing group details view.
1. By default, you'll find the 'Overview' tab open which gives you an overview of the projects assigned to this billing group, invoices generated and credits applied. Each of these can be further explored in the 'Projects', 'Invoices' and 'Credits' tabs respectively.
2. On the top right corner, you'll see the accumulated costs of all the projects assigned to this billing group.
3. Next to it is a clickable action menu using which you can rename and delete the billing group. Please note that you can only delete a billing group when it has no projects assigned to it.
4. 'Projects' tab lists the projects assigned to this billing group. In here, you can also assign more projects or move projects between billing groups (when you have more than one billing group under this account).
5. In the 'Invoices' tab, you can view and download the invoices generated for this billing group. The invoice includes separated lines for the projects and services assigned to this billing group.
6. In the 'Credits' tab, you can view and assign credit codes to your billing group.
7. 'Events' tab lists a log of all the actions performed on this billing group.
8. In the 'Billing information' tab, you can add and update the payment method and billing details used for generating the invoices.